Rent Control Doesn't Work and the Tenant Activists Are Delusional!

A serious and sophisticated place to discuss politics, off topic issues, and landlord/tenant issues and news in depth. All viewpoints welcome. Forum is moderated.
Housingprovider

#1 Unread post by Housingprovider » April 8th, 2019, 5:32 pm

I’m sure you know this already, but let me say it anyway: cities have become really popular, all over the world. An ever-larger share of the U.S. and global population lives in cities, and that large share is expected to get even larger. As demand for city living grows, the supply of housing often can’t keep up. Which results in — and you know this too — a rise in prices. In the U.S., median rent has doubled since the 1990’s, outpacing inflation by quite a bit. In many cities, this makes it hard for people who already live there to stay, and hard for people who’d like to move there. I’m sure you’ve heard the horror stories about rents in cities like London and Hong Kong; Seattle and San Francisco, where the median one-bedroom apartment costs about $3,700 a month. The problem is so bad in New York City that it inspired a new political party.

http://freakonomics.com/podcast/rent-control/

UpandDown

#2 Unread post by UpandDown » April 8th, 2019, 8:34 pm

You must be logged in to read the additional posts in this topic

# by »

# by »