Why We Must Privatize TCHC (now)

A serious and sophisticated place to discuss politics, off topic issues, and landlord/tenant issues and news in depth. All viewpoints welcome. Forum is moderated.
Housingprovider

Why We Must Privatize TCHC (now)

#1 Unread post by Housingprovider » August 1st, 2017, 9:21 pm

Toronto 'deliberately' underfunded social housing: Housing minister

By Shawn Jeffords, Political Bureau Chief

First posted: Monday, July 31, 2017 05:12 PM EDT | Updated: Monday, July 31, 2017 05:24 PM EDT

A newly-minted provincial cabinet minister says Toronto has “deliberately underfunded” its own social housing for years.

Peter Milczyn, a former Toronto councillor who was appointed Ontario housing minister on Monday, pulled no punches in his assessment of the lousy state of repair of Toronto Community Housing Corp. (TCHC).

Milczyn said the province is committed to helping but much of the problem was created by Toronto council’s refusal to properly provide funding for its massive stock of social housing buildings.

“I’m very honoured that the premier has selected me for this role,” he said Monday. “I understand it well. I also understand from my time on city council how the city for many years deliberately underfunded housing and how the city allowed Toronto Community Housing to lose its focus.”

Milczyn said the province has already provided land to the city to build more affordable housing and funded a homelessness prevention strategy to help Toronto. There will be more investments to come but he was non-committal about funding it’s $864-million share of TCHC’s repair backlog.

“Simply writing a blank cheque to the City of Toronto is not going to improve the quality of housing for the tenants in Toronto Community Housing,” he said. “We need to see that the City of Toronto has a concrete plan on how they’re going to move forward to reform TCHC.”

In 2013, when Milczyn was a member of Toronto council, he voted in favour of a resolution calling on the province to “continue to fund the City of Toronto for social housing at current levels and to provide additional funding in the amount of $864 million.”

Toronto Mayor John Tory was been engaged in a war of words with Premier Kathleen Wynne’s government for more funding for social housing and transit since his plan to toll the Gardiner Expressway and Don Valley Parkway was spiked by the province in January. Milczyn has been dispatched several times to hit back after Tory made comments calling for more provincial cash.

Tory’s spokesman Don Peat said the mayor is just asking for the province to put up its share of the housing cash.

“The city is putting more than $1 billion towards repairs and the federal government has included social housing funding in its 2017 budget,” he said in a statement. “The mayor is simply asking for the province to come to the table with its share of the repair bill — approximately $864 million.”
http://www.torontosun.com/2017/07/31/to ... 72c048c7df

TOGeordie

Re: Why We Must Privatize TCHC (now)

#2 Unread post by TOGeordie » August 1st, 2017, 10:29 pm

You must be logged in to read the additional posts in this topic

# by »

# by »