Many issues with NCC rental

We have recruited Tenant Community Leaders across Canada to help provide a helpful & informative forum for verified tenants. This is a safe space for Tenants to seek help & communicate with one another in a mature & non-confrontational arena. Tenants contributors only.
patrob1

Many issues with NCC rental

#1 Unread post by patrob1 » October 22nd, 2018, 12:59 pm

Hi,

I'm having some serious issues with my landlord. I rent from the NCC (national capital commission) and we've had some MAJOR issues. I would love some advice on some of the issues.

1. Our garage collapsed. A month ago, during excavating the property for waterproofing, the garage collapsed. Most of our belongings were thrown out because it was badly damaged and it was all done without our consent and when had no opportunity to examine the goods before they were removed. I have asked if the garage would be replaced and I still have not received a reply. Its been a month+. Also, they have not mentioned anything about compensation but they did ask for the contents that were destroyed. They also claim that all of the belongings that I wanted to keep were saved, which was untrue.

2. We had flooding several times in the basement (due to improper installation of the sump pump) as well as leaking through the walls for years. I have been complaining about the issue for over three years (documented in emails). Because of this, most of the contents in our basement are totally destroyed. Also, we have two young kids, so we requested to check for mold. Someone came pretty promptly to check for mold. Obviously they found mold but told us that it was contained to the basement. So, they needed to get the basement waterproofed before remediation of the mold (which seemed like news to them). In the meantime, they set us up with massive industrial fans and told us to clean up the basement. They wanted us to remove all of the stuff we wanted to keep, clean it and put it in a pod and remove the stuff we didn't want and place it in the dumpster. I'm not an expert, but that seems like a health violation. The person inspecting the house told us that someone should remove the contents and scrub it properly. Long story short, we have a lot of good stuff that we have to throw out (almost everything). Is this the fault of the landlord or should it be compensated through insurance. It's $100 deductible and doesn't include leakage from the walls.

3. While they were excavating, they left part of a wall standing (all cement and weights a ton) while it was cracked, even after I asked to have it taken down immediately or make it safe asap. They just put caution tape around it. Also, the holes were about 8' deep plus mounds several feet around the excavated area. I asked for a fence because I have young kids. They said that they definitely would, then said that they did not get the funding for it.

Any advice on these issues would be appreciated. We're great tenants. We pay every month on time, keep the house clean and do most small repairs on our own.

Thanks

Sneaky

Re: Many issues with NCC rental

#2 Unread post by Sneaky » October 22nd, 2018, 2:26 pm

You must be logged in to read the additional posts in this topic

# by »

# by »