Plumbing Problems? Toilet Issues? Landlord Is 100% Responsible

Announcements and articles for tenants will be posted here along with helpful posts from the New Tenant Help Forum.
Arse

Plumbing Problems? Toilet Issues? Landlord Is 100% Responsible

#1 Unread post by Arse » April 4th, 2019, 9:00 pm

A young couple of tenants who rent in Ontario posted a question as they needed help for an urgent situation:

Can someone give us some advice. Since moving in the toilet has been slow to flush. A couple weeks ago it began leaking at the bottom where the toilet meets the floor. About ten days ago it has over flowed regularly. We called our landlord about this and she said "don't use it so much and don't drop anything in it." I explained nothing was dropped and we only have one toilet and we request a plumber to fix it. The landlord still hasn't replied even though we paid rent on April 1. This is really affecting our enjoyment of the rental property.

Landlords Are Unaware of the Laws! They Are A Joke!

In the landlord forum a landlord was totally unaware of their legal responsibilities.

His post:
Amir Hosein wrote:
March 24th, 2019, 8:54 pm
The renters keep complaining about the toilet. They say it is old and always clogs and they threatened to next time call the plumber and take the payment out of the rent. What can I do?
I said: You can fix it, idiot!

As is your legal responsibility under the Ontario Residential Tenancies Act.

This idiot 'foreign' landlord has no ideas of the rules we have in Canada to protect tenants. Hey idiot this isn't "Dogcrapistan" where warlords can kill and abuse the children.

The Law is Clear!

UTILITIES AND SERVICES
Plumbing
Maintenance

9. (1) Plumbing and drainage systems in a residential complex, and their appurtenances, shall be maintained free from leaks, defects and obstructions and adequately protected from freezing. O. Reg. 517/06, s. 9 (1).

(2) A residential complex shall be provided with a means of sewage disposal. O. Reg. 517/06, s. 9 (2).

(3) The means of sewage disposal shall be maintained in a good state of repair. O. Reg. 517/06, s. 9 (3).

https://www.ontario.ca/laws/regulation/060517#BK11
[/size]

I PEE YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE MY PEE IS SAFE.

I #2 YOU NEED TO MAKE SURE MY POO IS PROTECTED.

YOU PAY FOR THE PLUMBER. IT"S THE LAW!

UTILITIES AND SERVICES
Plumbing
Maintenance

9. (1) Plumbing and drainage systems in a residential complex, and their appurtenances, shall be maintained free from leaks, defects and obstructions and adequately protected from freezing. O. Reg. 517/06, s. 9 (1).

(2) A residential complex shall be provided with a means of sewage disposal. O. Reg. 517/06, s. 9 (2).

(3) The means of sewage disposal shall be maintained in a good state of repair. O. Reg. 517/06, s. 9 (3)

OR YOUR TENANT WILL TAKE YOU TO THE LANDLORD AND TENANT BOARD AND WIN. LANDLORDS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR OUR SAFE AND EFFECTIVE #1 AND #2.

Tenants there is no limit in the amount of times you can demand the landlord fix your toilet.

You can even call every day if the problem persists!

And here is the Landlord and Tenant Board form to file against landlords who don't reimburse you for plumber fees or don't fix the problem asap:

http://www.sjto.gov.on.ca/documents/ltb ... ons/T6.pdf

(And don't be scared of the Ford changes to make you pay $50 to apply...you will get it back)

Clean it landlords. It is your LEGAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Tags

Re: Plumbing Problems? Toilet Issues? Landlord Is 100% Responsible

#2 Unread post by Tags » April 5th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Many landlords are unaware of this.

I've read it many times over the years. :(

dntfckwitme

#3 Unread post by dntfckwitme » April 11th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Super news to help us.

NightOwl

#4 Unread post by NightOwl » April 21st, 2019, 1:24 am

Why don't the traditional tenant groups get this news out, LOL!

Landlords your responsibility is to: